In the unprecedented times we live in, even mild symptoms of illness may be alarming to us. Perhaps you develop a dry, nagging cough that won’t go away or a scratchy throat. Maybe your asthma is acting up. Perhaps you’re experiencing unusual fatigue. Are you suffering from coronavirus? Or is it something else—like toxic mold in your home?
Believe it or not, the two can produce similar symptoms. Let’s talk a bit about these similarities and the best ways to tell the difference.
Get Tested for COVID
First things first: COVID-19 is nothing to trivialize. Symptoms can indeed be mild—and some people experience no symptoms at all—but it can also be deadly, not to mention you can spread it quickly to other friends and family members who might not fare as well as you. If you’re the least bit suspicious that you might be infected with coronavirus, go to your local testing site and get tested. Here in NYC, there are hundreds of testing sites, and you can get tested for free. If nothing else, a negative result will rule out coronavirus as the cause of your symptoms.
Symptoms that Coronavirus and Toxic Mold Illness Share in Common
Having established that information first, let’s take a look at some common symptoms of COVID-19 that could also be caused by exposure to toxic mold in your home. These include:
· Dry cough
· Shortness of breath
· Asthma flare-up
· Muscle and body aches
· Digestive issues/diarrhea
· “Brain fog” or disorientation
As you can see, several symptoms of toxic mold illness could easily pass for COVID symptoms. One glaring exception is fever, which is not a commonly listed symptom for toxic mold. If a moderate to high fever accompanies the above symptoms, it’s more likely to be related to some sort of viral infection, and again, it’s in your best interest to get tested.
How Do I Know if It’s Toxic Mold Illness and Not COVID?
As with COVID, testing is the key to finding out if you’re sick from toxic mold—except with COVID, you’re the one who gets tested, and with toxic mold, your living space is tested. You can do an initial check of any dark, damp spaces in your home for visible signs of black mold; you can also buy a home testing kit or have your home professionally checked. If mold is present, that may be the reason for your symptoms.
If you are ill from the presence of toxic mold due to negligence from your landlord, you may be entitled to compensation and damages. For expert legal help, call our offices for an initial appointment.